How to Be a Sugar Daddy: Guide in 2023
This isn’t a sugar daddy how-to guide. The process of becoming a SD is actually very easy — you just find a sugar dating platform, create a profile, and chat with sugar babies. It’s rather a guide that will answer all of your questions about how to be a good sugar daddy. Let’s start!
Top-3 sites to be a sugar daddy
5 Things to know before being a sugar daddy
Becoming a sugar daddy is fun and exciting, but it can not always be a pleasant experience if you don’t know how to handle a sugar relationship correctly. Here are some key tips before starting your sugar daddy journey.
1. Talk about an arrangement
Communication is vital for a successful sugar relationship, and in the majority of cases, a sugar daddy is the one who initiates communication about the peculiarities of an arrangement.
Being clear about what you want and can provide is important to help both parties be on the same page and, at the same time, know what they agree to.
- When to talk about the arrangement? — Whenever it feels comfortable to chat on the sugar dating site or you can discuss all the conditions during your first date in person. But arrangements should be negotiated as soon as possible.
- What to discuss? — Type of the arrangement, regularity of meetings, each other’s expectations, special conditions, and, of course, the money and intimacy question.
Being upfront and honest is a must for a successful relationship, and you should also set boundaries talking about your arrangement from the very beginning.
2. Know what you want from a sugar relationship
There are different types of sugar babies that might be suitable for you, but picking a compatible match choosing based on appearance is not enough.
To get a really fulfilling sugar arrangement, you need to know what you want from it. Some sugar daddies seek the emotional support, and companionship of a beautiful young woman, while others concentrate on the sexual aspect of the relationship.
Understanding your needs before going into a relationship with a particular sugar baby will save you time and nerves. And it will also help a sugar baby to fulfill her part of the arrangement better.
3. Pick your types of sugar daddy
Though there is no universal classification of sugar daddies, most people in the sugar dating bowl divide them into 7 main categories:
- Traditional SDs. The most common type of sugar daddies who seek young sugar babies for IRL romantic relationships with intimacy in exchange for financial support of different kinds. Usually, a traditional SD provides financial support in the form of a sugar baby allowance.
- Pay Per Meet SDs. These sugar daddies are similar to traditional ones. They also seek companionship and sexual relationships. The only difference is that they provide financial support on a PPM basis (pay for each date).
- Mentor SDs. These are more hard-to-find sugar daddies. They are usually affluent men who have a lot of experience and many connections in different fields. They provide career mentorship, guidance, and networking opportunities. Sometimes mentor SDs provide just mentorship in a sugar relationship, and sometimes they also provide an allowance.
- Platonic SDs. Only around 10-15% of SDs are platonic. Though most sugar relationships are based not just on sex, platonic relationships are those that don’t have any form of intimacy at all. Platonic sugar daddies usually pay around 40-50% less and expect support, fun time spending, or romance from a sugar baby.
- Physical-only SDs. These sugar daddies care the most about the appearance of a sugar baby, as they are interested in a sexual relationship on an NSA basis.
- Exclusive SDs. Sugar daddies who don’t like to share their sugar baby often become exclusive. An exclusive sugar daddy expects a sugar baby to have only one sugar partner and is willing to pay more for that.
- Cyber SDs. These sugar daddies can be both platonic and sexual, depending on what they expect from their sugar arrangement. But the key with cyber sugar daddies is that they just communicate online without IRL meetings.
Depending on your personal sugar dating goals, it’s important to pick a type of SD you want to be and then choose a sugar baby who fits your desires.
4. What you’re going to offer your potential sugar baby
Before making a sugar arrangement, you need to understand not only what you want from it, but also what you can provide for a sugar baby.
Think about the following things:
- How much are you willing to pay in allowance or PPM?
- What budget do you have for presents and other perks?
- Are you open to mentoring and guidance?
- Do you want to help with tuition and rent?
- How much do you want to spend on dates?
- Do you plan to travel together?
These are only some of the basic questions that may help you understand what you can offer to potential sugar babies.
5. How to stay safe when dating as a sugar daddy
Though women are usually seen as more vulnerable in sugar dating, sugar daddies still face many risks. One of the biggest ones is financial. As FTC reports, the median loss to romance scams is about $4,400. But there are also other risks to privacy, health, etc.
Here are a few tips to stay safe being a sugar daddy:
- Pick reliable sugar dating sites that offer ID verification
- Don’t add photos from your public social media accounts
- Don’t share real name, address, bank account info
- Don’t share explicit photos where you can be easily recognized
- Avoid sending money before meeting IRL or at least having a video chat
- Use protection, especially if your relationship is not exclusive
These are some basic rules that can help you stay safe and have a positive sugar dating experience.
General guidelines and FAQ of being a sugar daddy
Are you considering being a sugar daddy? To ensure a positive mutually beneficial relationship, it’s crucial to understand the rules of a sugar relationship before jumping into it.
Check out these commonly asked questions to know what to expect.
How does a sugar daddy work?
Sugar relationships are the relationships between a well-established man who spends money on a younger woman in return for companionship and intimacy, and the woman herself, although there are male sugar babies, too.
The sugar partners meet each other on the sugar dating platforms, arrange a date, meet, and discuss limits and allowance.
So, the answer to the question “how to be a sugar daddy” is simple — create an account on a sugar daddy website, chat with SBs, meet them, and pay them for companionship and intimacy. But how to be a good sugar daddy?
What does a sugar daddy do?
Being a sugar daddy means supporting a sugar baby both emotionally and financially. A sugar daddy pays a sugar baby, provides advice, business and emotional support, and internship (often, but not in 100% of cases).
When it comes to the question “how much does it cost to be a sugar daddy?”, it’s very important to remember that it’s not just about allowance. Gifts, trips, vacations, hotels, shopping, bills, debts—that’s what sugar daddies usually pay for.
What do you need to become a sugar daddy?
The first thing you need to become a sugar daddy is money, as the financial situation is the key to being able to provide allowance and sustain a sugar daddy lifestyle. But the financial aspect is not the only thing that you need.
Here are some other important things:
- A SD account on a reliable sugar dating site. You can start with popular platforms, like Secret Benefits or SugarDaddy.com, where you can reach a wide pool of various SBs. But don’t forget to put effort into filling in your SD profile.
- A paid membership. Upgrading to premium membership is usually worth it, as it opens more opportunities on the site, as well as gives a boost in popularity.
- New hot photos. Don’t forget that SBs are choosing too, and you need to attract them with your best traits.
- A burner phone. Don’t provide your personal phone number to SBs if you want to keep your privacy. Get a burner sim card that you use just for your sugar endeavors.
- Time and persistence. Becoming a sugar daddy takes time, as there is no guarantee that you’ll find a match in a few days online. Usually, it takes from a few weeks to even a couple of months to meet someone you like.
Starting your first sugar relationship will make you a sugar daddy, but it is always worth being prepared.
How old is a sugar daddy?
A sugar daddy is not defined by a particular age. In fact, a sugar daddy is typically seen as an older, financially secure man looking for companionship and a relationship with a younger, more attractive partner. However, the average age of a sugar daddy is only 38.
Depending on the individual’s tastes and circumstances, the age difference between a sugar daddy and a sugar baby can vary substantially. Some sugar daddies are in their 40-50s, while others are in their 60s or even older.
How rich does a sugar daddy need to be?
There is no minimum net worth or income level required to be called a sugar daddy. However, the average annual income of SDs in the US is $250,000. The level of that support might vary substantially based on the particular person, as well as their disposable income and circumstances.
Some sugar daddies may be wealthy and willing to provide their SB with lavish presents, trips, and other privileges, whereas others may have the same income yet are willing to spend less. Also, it’s worth noting that the richest sugar daddies are usually referred to as honey daddies.
How do sugar daddies normally pay sugar babies?
This question has no one-size-fits-all answer since how much a sugar daddy pays his sugar baby varies depending on the particular arrangement.
Yet, here are a few popular ways that sugar daddies may choose to pay their allowance or PPM:
- Cash. This is the most common way of payment in which the sugar daddy just gives their sugar baby cash. It’s a favorite of many as it’s not traceable and easy.
- Bank transfers. Some sugar daddies prefer to transfer money to their sugar baby’s bank accounts. But this form of payment usually happens in long-term relationships, where there is established trust.
- Money apps. Another popular way of traceless transfers is where a sugar daddy sends allowance or PPM via Venmo, PayPal, or similar apps.
- Gift cards. There are also sugar daddies who give their sugar babies gift cards to certain shops or services as a way of financial support.
- Prepaid credit cards. Some sugar daddies give a credit card to spend on shopping, vacation, or entertainment.
All of these are used by sugar daddies, and the preferable payment method is usually discussed during negotiations.
How to understand a sugar daddy lifestyle for you?
Whether a sugar daddy lifestyle is worth it or not is a personal decision that is influenced by your unique beliefs, aspirations, and preferences.
But here are some things to think about when evaluating whether a sugar daddy relationship is good for you:
- Your financial situation and desire to spend on this form of dating
- Your moral compass and whether you are comfortable with NSA dating and can follow it
- Your emotional needs and whether a sugar baby relationship can satisfy them
- Ability to let things go, as any sugar relationship is meant to end
Pursuing a sugar daddy relationship should be done after a thorough evaluation of your personal needs. Being a sugar daddy can be fun, exciting, and full of romance and adventure, but it is definitely not for everyone.
How to be successful on sugar daddy sites?
To be successful on sugar daddy websites, you should:
- Make an eye-catching profile with hot photos and a clear description of your expectations from a sugar relationship
- Be proactive and approach potential sugar babies in a respectful and creative way
- Establish clear expectations and boundaries from the start
- Be patient and don’t rush meeting IRL
- Be cautious while sharing personal information
- Upgrade to premium to get access to the full capacities of the site
Following these easy steps can help you become more popular on sugar daddy dating sites.
Where and how to plan the first meeting with a SB?
It’s critical to prioritize safety and mutual comfort while preparing for your first meeting with a sugar baby.
These are some important things to remember:
- Choose a public place. Going on the first date, you are meeting with a stranger, so you need to make it as safe as possible, which makes public open spaces the best pick. This will make both parties feel more secure and at ease.
- Discuss important aspects of the date beforehand. Talk about your plans and expectations in advance so you both know what to expect. Confirm the Meet&Greet’s date, time, and location.
- Treat your sugar baby with respect. Show your sugar baby respect and kindness. Keep in mind that this is a mutually beneficial partnership in which both sides should feel at ease and valued.
- Be honest and don’t pretend to be better or wealthier. Be open and honest about your intentions, relationship expectations, and abilities. This will help prevent misunderstandings and keep both parties on the same page.
Follow these easy tips and start your desired relationship with a good first date.
Top 3 tips how to be a sugar daddy
The average allowance of a sugar baby is $2,800 per month or $700 per week—but being able to afford a sugar baby is not the only thing that makes a good sugar daddy. It’s these 3 rules that do:
- A good sugar daddy is respectful. Sugar babies—especially the ones who have a little sugar dating experience—often feel unconfident about what they do because of social stigma, lots of fake sugar daddies/scammers, and a number of other reasons. By being respectful, you’ll gain her trust and make her feel confident.
- A good sugar daddy is generous. Taking into account the transactional nature of the sugar relationship, the quality and continuity of financial support is one of the most important things for sugar babies.
- A good first date with a sugar daddy is a date in a public place. A sugar daddy who wants to meet & greet at his place is a 100% red flag for any sugar baby.
Friends-with-benefits vs No-strings-attached relationship
Sugar relationships are often called NSA—No-Strings-Attached relationships. They are also often confused with FWB (Friends With Benefits).
The FWB concept is about having a sexual relationship with a person you already know (that’s what the letter F stands for). Typically, no financial support is involved in FWB relationships. NSA relationships are about casual sex with no connection and obligations. The main difference is that in NSA, there are clear limits and no expectations.
No strings attached: rules
- No holding hands and no shared breakfasts
- No sending each other lots of text messages
- No expectations
- No jealousy
- No hanging out together with your/her friends
Being a sugar daddy isn’t that hard; being a good sugar daddy is harder. But after all, there’s nothing extremely difficult about it — just be a nice, respectful, and generous person, and you’ll be among those sugar daddies who are loved by 100% of women.
Video: How a sugar daddy dates a sugar baby
Sugar daddies usually find a young sugar baby to have romantic dates, travel, enjoy the good things in life, or just simply talk and feel supported. But in their turn, SDs provide financial support and mentorship to their young SBs.
The risks of being a sugar daddy are catfishing, for example, when a person doesn’t look the same as in her photo, as well as different forms of romance scams when scammers pretend to be SBs, but in reality, only want to get money or private info/photos from wealthy men.
There is no set amount of money a man should earn annually to become a sugar daddy. On average, a SD makes $250,000 annually, but everything depends on how much a person is willing to spend and if there are SBs comfortable with that.