Sugar Daddy Definition & Meaning in Relationship
What does sugar daddy mean? In short, it’s a man who buys presents/gives money to a (typically) younger companion so that the younger companion (typically a woman in her 20s) spends time and has a sexual relationship with him. Here, we’ll discuss this in more detail.
Top sugar dating sites in 2023
Definition of a sugar daddy
So, what is sugar daddy? The vocabulary “sugar daddy” meaning is “a rich, older man who gives money to a young woman in return for companionship or/and sexual favors“.
Some sugar daddies are more focused on financial advice and gifts, some sugar relationships don’t include sex, etc, but in general, this sugar daddy definition is very close to reality.
What does sugar daddy means and how many SDs are there?
The exact number of sugar daddies in the United States is not revealed — not surprisingly, bearing in mind how sensitive this subject is — but according to the statistics provided by Seeking, there are at least 2,000,000 sugar daddies (the number of sugar babies is at least 4 times higher).
Yes, it’s only one website, but it’s the website with the highest number of sugar babies and sugar daddies in the US — so think of it as Facebook for sugar dating platforms. Such a ratio (1 to 4) means sugar daddies have a lot of chances to find a sugar baby, but it also means that most sugar babies are not exclusive with their SDs.
The states with the most sugar daddies are Nevada, New York, Massachusetts, California, and Texas, according to the statistics provided by the same site—but of course, it’s not only about these states. According to the heat map, there are hundreds of thousands of sugar daddies on the East Coast, as well as in Washington, Oregon, and in some Midwest states (Utah and Colorado). There are only a few sugar daddies in Montana, South/North Dakota, Wyoming, and Nebraska—but this might be because of obsolete statistics, nothing more.
An average sugar daddy: income, age, occupation
INCOME. In 2007, the average sugar daddy income was $321,000 and the average sugar baby allowance was about $74,000. 6 years later, the numbers were different — in 2013, the average SD income was $273,000 and the average allowance dropped 18% (from $74,000 to $61,000). Another 7 years later, the numbers drop again — the average sugar daddy in 2021 makes $250,000 annually, and the average sugar baby makes $2,800 monthly ($33,600 annually).
AGE. The average age of SDs is 42 years old, but more and more rich young guys are interested in what is a sugar daddy lifestyle, so there are lots of SDs in their 30s today.
OCCUPATION. As for occupation, according to the statistics revealed in 2013, most sugar daddies were entrepreneurs (26%), executives (10%), or worked in the finance/legal industry (16%/5%).
What do sugar daddies look for and why do they become SDs?
What does daddy mean in a relationship? Some sugar daddies say that having a sugar baby is like being in the honeymoon stage most of the time — SDs get treated well and get as many romantic evenings as they want without any downsides.
For most SDs, it’s all about getting all the advantages of casual, no-strings-attached relationships and satisfying all the needs they have without wasting tons of time on dates that don’t work out.
It’s just easier and less time-consuming for them to pay for sugar dating, that’s all. Their requirements are simple, but not easy—most sugar daddies look for young (18-28 y.o.), attractive, and intelligent women to become their sugar babies.
What are the main advantages of being a sugar daddy?
Being a sugar daddy is becoming more and more popular, because of the many benefits and perks that come with it.
Here are some key pros that are worth knowing if you are doubting whether you should try sugar dating or not:
- NSA relationship perks. Most sugar daddies enjoy no-strings-attached relationships with young and attractive sugar babies, where they don’t need to meet anyone’s expectations and feel pressured to commit. The conditions of particular sugar arrangements are established from the start, resulting in clear expectations and boundaries from both sides.
- Luxurious lifestyle. Sugar arrangements frequently include living a lavish lifestyle with high-end food, travel, and entertainment. Sugar daddies can enjoy life’s finest luxuries in the company of a beautiful young woman.
- No emotional baggage. Traditional romantic relationships can be stressful and emotionally draining, as they usually include a lot of drama. Sugar daddies can enjoy the company of gorgeous sugar babies without the emotional commitment and stress and drama of regular dating.
- Freedom of following desires. Sugar agreements provide the flexibility and freedom to establish a relationship you want. Sugar daddies can have a mutually beneficial relationship that matches their lifestyle and tastes.
Being a sugar daddy can give you many benefits from a luxury lifestyle to romantic companionship without drama or emotional baggage. Sugar dating allows sugar daddies to enjoy romance and all the best things in life in the company of a hot girl.
What does a sugar daddy provide in a relationship?
The only key thing that every sugar daddy provides is financial stability to a sugar baby, as it’s the reason why the majority of SBs engage in this type of relationship.
But there are also many other things that a sugar daddy provides in a relationship:
- Monthly allowance or PPM
- Advice and guidance
- Tuition or rent money
- Other things agreed upon by both sides
- Luxury presents
- Networking opportunities
Financial aspect is usually the only one that is negotiated in a sugar arrangement as well as payments for rent or tuition. Other things that a SD provides are usually extra perks. Also, some sugar daddies provide friendship and emotional support.
But keep in mind that everything depends on the specific arrangement and is determined by the sugar daddy’s and sugar baby’s preferences and needs. It is crucial to establish clear expectations before even meeting IRL to avoid misunderstandings and disappointment.
Is being a sugar daddy legal?
Being a sugar daddy is legal in the US, Canada, Australia, and European countries as long as both parties are consenting adults and a sugar daddy is not paying for intimacy only. The nature of sugar dating is in mutual benefits between a sugar daddy and a sugar baby, where a SD offers financial support, mentorship, or friendship in exchange for companionship or other agreed-upon benefits.
The key here is that sugar daddy dating is not just about receiving money for intimacy, that, for example, in Columbia would be considered prostitution and therefore illegal under DC Code Section 22-2707. However, it is important to remember that the laws and regulations governing sugar dating may differ according to the country or state.
3 situations you can get in trouble being a SD
Here are 3 common situations that might get you in trouble as a sugar daddy:
- Paying for sex. If a sugar daddy engages in activities where sex is exchanged for money, this may be deemed prostitution. It spreads to online prostitution too, as under the FOSTA-SESTA package, sugar daddy dating websites are held liable for hosting anything connected to prostitution.
- Non-consensual activity: If a sugar daddy participates in non-consensual activities with a sugar baby, such as sex, or physical or emotional abuse, he may face legal consequences under Sodomy laws. Similar laws are also in Canada (Criminal Code in s. 273.1(1)), Australia (CRIMES ACT 1900), and all European countries. To avoid it, it’s essential to ensure that both parties involved have clear expectations and know each other’s boundaries.
- Participating in sexual activity with a minor is unlawful and may result in serious legal penalties under Penal Code 261.5 (for California, US). So, it’s important to make sure that a sugar baby you engage with is 18 or older, as otherwise, it might come with problems.
Exploring the legal side of being a sugar daddy is important to protect yourself from unwanted situations and legal troubles, so make sure to do that before becoming one.
The number of sugar babies is constantly growing and this won’t stop because the driving force of this growth, student debt, is not going to go away anytime soon. The number of sugar daddies is growing as well because the average monthly allowance for sugar babies is constantly decreasing. The market is on its rise — and the best time to enter it is right now.
Most Asked Questions
What does a sugar daddy look like?
A sugar daddy is an established man who is usually in his 40s-50s and makes $250,000 annually. He cares about his appearance and wears designer clothes. The majority of sugar daddies drive high-end cars and often have personal drivers.
What does a sugar daddy want from a sugar baby?
Usually, a sugar daddy seeks a young sugar baby for an easy and drama-free relationship. As sugar daddies are focused on their businesses, they look for NSA relationships to enjoy traveling and other luxuries of life in a pleasant companionship of a young woman.
What can a sugar daddy give to a sugar baby?
A sugar daddy can give different things to a sugar baby, as there are different types of SDs. But the majority provide financial support in the form of monthly/weekly allowance or PPM. Some SDs also offer mentorship, paid vacations, luxury presents, and fully-covered shopping sprees.